The March of Books in Israel
My wonderful Hebrew translator, Gili Bar-Hillel Semo, recently emailed to tell me
that “Nim’s Island” was voted the most popular book for 4th to 6th graders in “Mits’ad Hasfarim” – “The March of Books”.
This is an interesting award: there’s a jury-selected shortlist that includes all sorts of books, some very old, and then a poll of Israeli schoolchildren conducted by the department of education. (Sounds like a wonderful way to do it!)
So, I’m thrilled!
Here are some of the other winners – (Gili says she’s omitted Israeli books I couldn’t have heard of):
1. NIM’S ISLAND by Wendy Orr
3. THE ISLAND ON BIRD STREET by Uri Orlev
4. PRIhttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1147064&id=669674397NCE CASPIAN by C.S.Lewis
6. DIARY OF A WIMPY KID by Jeff Keaney
8. THE LEGEND OF SPUD MURPHY by Eoin Colfer
10. WHITE BOOTS by Noel Streatfeild (Gili translated this one too)
Wendy Orr is a Canadian-born Australian writer. Her books for children and adults have been published in 27 countries and won awards around the world. Nim’s Island and Nim at Sea have also become feature films, starring Jodie Foster and Abigail Breslin (Nim’s Island) and Bindi Irwin (Return to Nim’s Island.) Her latest book is Cuckoo’s Flight, a companion to the highly acclaimed Bronze Age novels Dragonfly Song and Swallow’s Dance. Read full bio